Men’s Health Week is upon us. Monday, 14 June until 21 June 2021. That’s good news for us in NSW – we started the week with a holiday! And an opportunity to reflect on some of the following. That’s the importance of Men’s Health Week- it is an opportunity to shine the light on the state of male health.
Did you know:
- The top 3 reasons for reduced lifespan in men are cardiovascular disease, suicide and motor vehicle accidents?
- Only 30% of men’s overall health is determined by the genetics? And as the website declares, “Having a Y-chromosome is not an excuse for unhealthy lifestyle choices.”
- Inactive men are 60% more likely to suffer from depression than those who are active?
- Men who sleep 7 to 8 hours a night have about 60% less risk of fatal heart attack than those who sleep 5 hours or less?
- Those who consume 4 to 10 drinks a week at most, have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes?
We are each touched on a daily basis by the stories of good and bad fortune of those who are close. During this Men’s Health Week, I will be reflecting on the wisdom of this brief message from someone close to me: “I now want to say to my family and friends, no matter what your age, you should get regular check-ups and bloodwork from a Dr to see how your body is doing. I wouldn’t know I had this if I hadn’t. So that’s it.”