How do I enforce a judgment debt?

If a court or Tribunal has entered judgment ordering another party to pay money to you and the other party fails to do so, there are a number of ways of enforcing the judgment. Some common enforcement actions are as follows:

  1. Garnishee order: an order from the court to have money taken from the judgment debtor's bank account or wages.
  2. Writ for the levy of property: this allows the sheriff to sell property belonging to the judgment debtor to pay back the debt.
  3. Examination notice/order: provides information about the other party's financial situation

You can usually recover the costs of enforcement and any interest that has accrued since the judgment was entered.  

You have 12 years from the date of the judgment to enforce it.